Resolutions. Like them or hate them, we all make them – don’t necessarily keep them mind you – but I always feel I have to, or should at least try. So here I go again… another year, another set of resolutions.
Resolution 1 First and foremost – Be positive, happy and keep my little family safe.
Resolution 2 Switch off the mobile phone, computer and ignore facebook, emails, tweets and writing until after my small one is safely snuggled up in dreamland – my full attention belongs to my precious one when I’m not in work.
Resolution 3 Continue to grow bonibakes and improve my skills in baking, styling and photography. This is my escape, a retreat for calm. A little place for myself and the small one to enjoy and have fun together baking and sampling the goodies.
Resolution 4 Exercise – A must if continuing to bake or take a leaf out of one of my favourite sites and have Just a taste.
And finally… Resolution 5 Include more healthy foods in my diet and on my blog this year.
On second thoughts, sure isn’t it all healthy homemade goodness. Happy New Year.
Pear and ginger muffins
Makes 12 • Baking time: Approx 20-25 minutes
150g self-raising flour
100g whole wheat spelt flour
15og castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
200ml low-fat yogurt
1 medium egg (beaten)
5 tablespoons of skimmed milk
150g pear peeled, core and diced
25g mixed seeds (I used milled linseed, gojiberries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds – Available in Aldi)
1. Preheat oven to 200c/gas6/(180c fan) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with baking cases.
2. Sieve the flours into a bowl and add to them the mixed seeds (save a little to decorate the tops) sugar, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Make a well in the centre.
3. Mix in the beaten egg, yogurt, milk and oil to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4. Peel, core and dice the pears into tiny pieces and stir into the mixture.
5. Using an ice cream scoop divide the mixture into the prepared muffin cases. Sprinkle the remaining mixed seeds over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Leave to stand for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire tray.