Christmas. Love. Love. LOVE. It wasn’t always like that though. Down through the years I have fallen in and out of love with christmas… sometimes embracing it… other times just going through the motions.
I’d almost forgotten what it was really all about until the small one entered my life six years ago and brought back that childhood christmas magic. You see, Christmas is really about the child. It’s about the wonder… and the excitement… and the anticipation… and the mystery…
But especially about that look on your small ones face before going to bed on Christmas eve and upon waking the next morning. This is the reason I love christmas. So at this time of year, I surround myself and my little family in way too much gaudy christmas memorabilia.
Watch far too many fairy-tale-happy-ever-after christmas movies. Listen to never-ending christmas tunes driving to and from work. Purchase many unnecessary decorations. And of course, create lots and lots of christmassy baking smells in the kitchen.
Spiced apple swirls
Makes 10-12 • Baking time: 10-15 minutes • Inspired by www.jusrol.co.uk
For the spiced apple
4 red apples
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon castor sugar
For the icing
50g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the pastry
1 Jus-Rol™ ready rolled puff pastry sheet
1 beaten egg to glaze
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to Gas mark 7/220c/200c (fan) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Peel, core and dice the apples and put into a saucepan with 1 tablespoon water.
3. Add to this the cinnamon, mixed spice and sultanas and leave to simmer for 10 mins until soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Unroll the pastry sheet onto a piece of baking parchment.
5. Spread the apple mix evenly over pastry and with the long side nearest you, roll up like a Swiss roll, brush the outside edge with the beaten egg to help stick.
6. Cut into 10-12 slices, place on the baking tray and bake for 12 -15 minutes, turning after 8 minutes and dusting with a little brown sugar.
7. While the spiced apple swirls are cooling, mix the icing sugar and cinnamon with just enough water to make a thick paste and using a knife zig zag it over the swirls.